Next up in the 250gram igers hall of fame is Jozi-based Levon Lock, whose 136,000 Instagram followers might just let on that his talent for pushing the boundaries of iPhoneography is anything but meagre. Armed only with his iPhone and a rare ability to recognise beauty in the ordinary, Levon manages to transform grungey urban scenes into a resonating commentary on city life in South Africa. While Levon’s Instagram feed reveals that he’s rather partial to escaping the metropolis from time to time, we know him best for his spacious, sparsely-populated cityscapes and spectrally-lit street scenes.
1. When did you start instagramming?
I started Instagramming in January 2012.
2. What are your favourite apps?
I use a variety of apps for different things, but I’ve got to say that my favourites are Snapseed, Afterlight, and VSCOcam.
3. What photography/editing hints and tips do you have for our community?
Shoot with the edit in mind – it’s very difficult to fix a bad photo with an edit.
Be creative – don’t be scared to do something completely different.
4. Who are you favourite people to follow on Instagram?
I have too many favourites to mention, so I’ll just mention a few, in no particular order.
5. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Doing what I love everyday, which I do. I’m a pretty happy guy!
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Debonairs triple decker pizzas.
7. Which talent would you most like to have?
I am a musician, but I’d like to be a lot better than I am at it.
8. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
That’s a tough one, but I think I’d say it’s just being content with where and what I am at the present time. Does that make sense? Am I allowed to ask questions? 😉
9. What is your most treasured possession?
Definitely my 1992 Fender Telecaster.
10. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Levon Helm, a drummer from a band called “The Band” who I was named after.
11. When and where were you happiest?
Whenever I’m playing or writing music.
5 of Levon’s favourite Instagrams: