We’ve been following Alessio La Ruffa (@alessiolr on Instagram) for quite some time and as one of our favourite city-slickin’ igers, we were thrilled to get the chance to catch up with him:
1. When did you start instagramming?
October 30th, 2010. I saw this cool app that had a lot of hype online and I downloaded it and started taking photos. Admittedly, my first couple hundred photographs were really cheesy, and I started taking it a bit more seriously in December 2012.
2. What are your favourite apps?
The iPhone’s native camera app, Snapseed, VSCO, AfterLight and After Focus.
3. What photography/editing hints and tips do you have for our community?
Make sure that you have a good picture to start with. Editing only serves to enhance your photos – it can’t create miracles. Also, stay away from gimmicky apps that apply all kinds of weird effects to your photos. I prefer giving my shots a crisp and clean feel to them, so most of my shots only have their saturation, contrast and ambience bumped up. I might add a little HDR and a vignette, but that’s usually about it.
4. Who are you favourite people to follow on Instagram?
Wow, there are so many. Locally, it would be @garethpon, @unclescrooch, @levonlock, @timvanrooyen, @roywrench, @thobanj, @alexioso and @ghostwitness. There are too many to mention. We have some great talent locally.
Internationally, I’d have to say @woody_chai, @kitkat_ch, @nois7, @jn, @withhearts, @kevinruss, and @soof_uckinginsane.
5. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Being able to travel the world, to spend my time as I wish and to give back.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Food! I’m Italian: we don’t eat to live, we live to eat. And lately, clothing.
7. Which talent would you most like to have?
To be able to take incredible photos with a proper camera.
8. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Breaking free from the corporate rat race and being a freelancer.
9. What is your most treasured possession?
My Air Jordans.
10. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
11. When and where were you happiest?
Whenever I’m on an airplane.
5 of Alessio’s favourite Instagrams:
Top photo credit: photo and edit by @garethpon